I'm supposed to have reached home, bathed and eating dinner right now, but I'm still at my office.
This week's attachment has been very fulfilling for me, even though I'm physically tired after last weekend's class service. I didn't know why I had more energy to stay through the whole day for yesterday and today at office. It was very eventful these 2 days and I believe it will be from now onwards because work is starting to come in and it's getting busier as days go by.
Yesterday I joined a secondary school Sec. 2 class and a few social workers and students to the Qian Hu fish farm visit. I was having fun mingling with these students and the teachers, and had the chance to observe how students interact with each other, with their teachers and with the social workers, including us who're the social work attachment students, and also how the adults conduct the activity and take care of the class well. I enjoy building rapport with the students as well as watching how my colleagues and the teachers conduct the session. The more I do and observe the work, the more I understand the whole situation and dynamics of the people. I found this job very meaningful, challenging and yet, energizing.
Just like today, it's the big day for me and my attachment classmates to execute a planned event for a Secondary 1 class. The event turned out well, with the help of volunteers and the social work staff. I really have to thank them for their help. :) They are of tremendous assistance to me. Whew~ I was slightly drained after the whole event, despite it being only about 2 hours. I was in a good mood towards the end of the event because I received good feedback from the students, teachers and volunteers. However, I was slightly upset at some points in time when I could not handle the class well enough or cannot think of a backup plan when things don't go accordingly. I was stumped when my supervisor asked about my backup plan when we were having pre-briefing on the station games. I really couldn't answer. I went on with the plan after that but my supervisor had to step in towards the end of the game in order to retain the control of the whole situation. These are the times when I felt bad... but it was overall OK.
I told myself that it's a good learning opportunity for me after all these that happened today because I had the chance to plan and execute the activities with my attachment friends. It was a rare chance as I haven't done long sessions like that very much in the past. However, I still had to try and fake the smile and tell myself that it's good.
Sighs...
Luckily, my another colleague whom I've been sharing my things and issues with since yesterday was there for me, and I really appreciate her concern. She knew what my supervisor didn't know as much about... Sometimes, I've reservations about saying my issues to my supervisor because of the pressure that arises from authority. She said it was normal to feel the pressure. I don't like this feeling... I hope it could go away, or at least brought down to the lowest level.
Anyway, these 2 days made me more energized because of the events which happened and also the opportunity for me to be responsible for more things. I felt accomplished, especially after today, despite what made me feel slightly down.
Now I'm starting to feel more like a Social Worker.
Thanks to everyone in this placement of mine, and the safe learning environment which they've created for me.
Tomorrow is my very first individual session with a client lohhh......
Finally a first contact!
JIAYOU! :D