Youths are playful, mischievous and fun yet mature, surprising and shocking at times.
Ever since Night Hike last weekend, they've changed so much, just within that Night Hike activity itself. I learnt how to just be by their side and not necessary talk with them when they feel low. I learnt that just being present with them can also make them feel comforted. I learnt to be patient towards them, even though they showed the annoying side of them to us. I learnt that they're so similar to everyone of us, that they also need the human touch, the love, the sense of belonging, respect, care and attention from adults and friends.
I've learnt so much, so much...
But I've still so much more to learn.
And I want to learn even more!
Today's Group Work session is the 2nd last one already. Time really flies. The way we all interacted was apparent that everyone has bonded very well so far. I felt more comfortable conversing with them, and I bet they did feel the same way with us too! Haha... I will always remember how each and every one of them laughed together, with us, with the whole group. That sight, was a very pretty and memorable sight for me. It came to me like a slow movie playing...
I was inspired by their smiles and laughters.
I've been wondering what I want to do after I graduate from NUS. I'm still unsure which part of Social Work I would want to specialise in. However, the good thing is that I know I wouldn't want to do Elderly work at all. I want to do something that makes me feel less bored or routine, such as Youth Work and programs, Youth Outreach, Family Work, Counselling and School Social Work. Is there a mixture of all of these? I wouldn't want to be fixed in any one of these. :)
I shall explore slowly.
Maybe my lecturers will be able to answer my questions, especially since I'm going Year 3 when school reopens in August. I'm very sure they're more than willing to answer my questions about my future career. Ha!
P.S. I heard that Youth Work isn't as popular as before now, but it doesn't mean that I'd still remain in Youth Work. I need to explore further before I settle down. That's all I know what I'll do in the near future, say, next 5 years ahead.