As a future Social Worker, and planning to graduate soon, I'm beginning to wonder about my
personal self and my professional self. How can I not merge both of them and yet be flexible around them?
Today is my last lecture and tutorial with this awesome overseas HK lecturer I come across in school. She got me thinking so much more about the issue of personal and professional self, which I don't normally like to care so much about.
Especially after watching ch's play "Volcanic Disco" tonight, I started to wonder about personal vs. professionalism, what's considered morally good or bad, what's governing my value system, why am I afraid of doing things which my value system tells me that it's wrong etc.
Some things make me feel uncomfortable, like touching patients, which is scientifically-proven that it is healing and therapeutic. Of course, there're many more, but I'm not going to list them all here. The point is, I need to take a good trip deep down inside me to figure out why I feel uncomfortable with certain things.
What are my values? Being uncomfortable doesn't mean it's wrong or bad, but it is telling me that I've something that I need to take note of, and that I need to enhance my awareness once more.
Self-awareness or self-discovery is a never-ending lesson.